Friday 3 February 2017

Task 3 Creating dialogue for Games - Game Dialogue Development Log

Game Dialogue Sources:
Design Documents:
Game Story:
Scripts:

Verbal Elements:

Narration:

The process of reciting events that are normally in chronological order, this is what we know as a story.
Narration is the action that takes place in order to tell a story.

The narrator in Darkest Dungeon does tell the stories and does narrate what is happening to your adventurers.

Monologue:

This is a long speech accomplished by only one characters/actor. This can be used in different ways, one of the ways includes comedy.
This is an example of monologue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_1zsCVBxw

Dialogue:
This is a conversation in between two characters or even more people.  

Dialogue Sources: 

Final Fantasy IX

Horizon Zero Dawn

FF IX Script:

[Zidane and Vivi enter Black Mage Village] 

Vivi 
"...Looks like nobody's here." 

Zidane 
"Where did they go?" 

Vivi 
"I'm gonna go look around." 

[Vivi runs off. Zidane follows him. At the cemetery, Vivi is speaking to Number 288] 

Vivi 
"Where is everyone!?" 

Black Mage No. 288 
"They went away with Kuja... Two other guys stayed behind. They're probably at the chocobo shack..." 

Vivi 
"Why!? Why did they go with him!?" 

Black Mage No. 288 
"They learned about our lifespan... We can live only for a given amount of time." 
"Kuja said he knew how to extend our life spans, so everyone followed him..." 

Vivi 
"He's lying! I bet he's lying!" 
"Look what he's done to us. He's been using us, treating us like puppets." 

Black Mage No. 288 
"...Maybe we are just puppets, created to serve humans." 

Vivi 
"!" 

Zidane 
"Come on. That's nonsense." 

Vivi 
"...Where did they go?" 

Black Mage No. 288 
"...I can't tell you that. I can't betray them." 

Vivi 
"Then why didn't you go with them?" 

Black Mage No. 288 
"......" 

Vivi 
"You said the two other guys are in chocobo shack, right?" 

Black Mage No. 288 
"......" 

[Vivi runs off screen] 

Zidane 
"Vivi!" 

[Zidane follows him to the shack. Vivi is in front of the door] 


This script shows the conversation between Vivi and Black Mage No.288. They talk about how other Black Mages followed Kuja.


This is a good script to look at, it can be a point of reference when linking backstories for my characters, it shows how Vivi talks about the other Black Mages, this can be changed into a characters talking to others of his/her race, monastery or family.

It also shows how their opinions and feelings are "criss-crossed", they question themselves their own 

Script Writing

Layout:

Scripts have a certain layout and that consists on the font to be Courier and the font to be placed in a certain order. This is an example of a script.

Storyboard:


This is a quick storyboard I made to plan a part of my story.

A quick explanation will be, Forest in where they find Lucifer - Conversation with Lucifer - Portal to Hell - First "phase" in Hell















Industry Practice

Script 

Fades In (Forest Scene)

MARYTRYA

   Renshi! Quick, come over here. There is someone in this bush and he is            injuried. Renshi We have to help him, I will gather some herbs so we can help    him.

MARYTRYA

   Could you tell me your name? 
WOUNDED MAN

   Not yet my beloved savior, I need to explain something first 

MARYTRYA

   What do you main you have to explain something? Do you know us?

LUCIFER

   I am Lucifer, Ruler of Hell and the ally of the remaining angels who rule        Heaven 

MARYTRYA

   HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? YOU ARE LYING! 

                                     LUCIFER

   I am no lair, I could be the extinction to mankind but not a lair 

                                     MARYTRYA

   How can I trust Lucifer?

                                     LUCIFER

   I have proof 

Lucifer whispered in an old language and summoned a papyrus. 

                                     LUCIFER

   This papyrus has an inscription that was wrote by the remaining Angel "Lords" 

MARYTRYA starts reading the papyrus 

                                     MARYTRYA 

   So far this looks real, it uses a code that only protectors from                  certain religions know 
LUCIFER

   As I told you I am no liar

                                     MARYTRYA

   But why? Weren't you the "bad one"? 

                                     LUCIFER 

   Things have changed dear Nun

RENSHI slowly walks towards them 

                                     RENSHI

   I have listened to everything, could you explain it? i

MARYTRYA

   This papyrus says that the origin of this attack was created by some Fallen      Angels who united together. 

LUCIFER

   God is dead, the Princess of Hell are dead expect me. Only hope are us 

MARYTRYA


   We need to defeat the fallen angels and save Earth, Hell and Heaven. 

RENSHI

   Lucifer, I never thought I would ask you this question, would you fight          alongside us and will you defeat the fallen angels by using our strength and      experience? 

LUCIFER



   The first is to plan our attack and heal everyone. 

MARYTRYA 

   Is there anything to know about the Fallen Angels? They are more likely demons    that just angels

LUCIFER

   The only way to kill is to use Anti-Demon weapons and destroying their head,      they will suffer but they will be immune in other body parts

MARYTRYA 

   Even tho we have Anti-demon weapons we struggle to kill the simplest of demons

RENSHI

   I struggle less due to the mantras I have learned in the past, but if there      are a lot of demons in one place my staff and I will struggle 

LUCIFER 

   Please, hand me your weapons, if they are infused with my blue flames and        bathed in my blood, no demon will be a problem for you and your weapons

MARYTRYA

   Let's rest, tomorrow will be a difficult day, we need to slay some Demons 

RENSHI


   Wake up, there is something there. It's like someone is controlling imps, they    keep attacking unconsciously.


MARYTRYA

   We will have to overcome this Imps and get to the portal. We can do this by      using the portal to hell that has been mentioned. 

RENSHI

   That will be a great idea, pack anything that is needed and moves as soon as      your are ready.  
LUCIFER

   After the portal, things are not going to be the same. Are you two prepared? 

RENSHI

   Yes, I can't hold back anything, I am going to save the world with your          help.

LUCIFER

      And what about you Marytrya? Are you ready for what is coming next? 

MARYTRYA

   I have never been this ready, let's hope everything ends okay and safer than      what it is now. 

LUCIFER

   The only thing I want to mention myself is that I will not be able to use all    my power and this will relay on both of you. You are the only saviors that        this world has.

MARYTRYA 

   It is our destiny to save humanity, and if we die, we fall in battle. 

RENSHI

   If we perish, our reincarnation will help the future and seek our revenge. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment